Thursday, April 12, 2007

Equality??

I've been taking some classes at Kuwait University where I've gotten to know some of the Kuwaitis there. I just spoke to a friend today where I mentioned to him I've been working on a survey to find out the values of Kuwaiti youth to women's rights. I told him some of the sample questions I'll be asking, the first one being do you believe in the equality between men and women. And to my surprise he said no. I didn't know what to say. He graduate from a British high school in Kuwait and we had previously spoken about the different cultural mentalities toward women between Kuwaitis who graduate from Western high schools versus government schools. So I expected that going to a British school where men and women are in mixed classroom environment, would lend itself to the belief in the equality between men and women. But, my friend didn't disagree because he felt men superior to women. Rather, he felt that men and women weren't equal because of creational differences. But, now I will go have dinner with him and his friends.

No comments: